AHS is fueled by volunteer energy. We have opportunities for everyone who has an interest in history or who wants to become more involved in their community. These are just a few examples, to learn more, email the AHS Volunteer Coordinator: RobertWhite7@aol.com
- Docent at the Arlington Historical Museum: once a month on a Wednesday, Saturday, or Sunday afternoon or as often as you want. We’ll pair you with another docent to learn the ropes. Help show Arlington’s history to the public.
- Docent at the Ball-Sellers House. The oldest building in the county: a farm house built in the 1740s and restored to what is wold have looked like back then. It is open for free docent-led tours. Help tell the story of this house and the people who lived there.
- Garden: Use your “green thumb” to develop or maintain gardens at the Arlington Historical Museum or the Ball-Sellers House.
- Social Media: AHS has an active Facebook page, a newly designed website, and a Twitter hashtag #ArlHist. If you like to communicate this way, we need you and we have lots of fascinating content. Do as much as you want and work with a team.
- Handyman: We have many small jobs for someone who is handy or is a jack-of-all-trades. This individual can have a big impact on preserving and maintaining our historic properties.
- Artifact Research: The Ball-Sellers House has completed an archaeological dig and now we are cleaning, researching, and reassembling the items we unearthed. Help us learn what we found for exhibit. Email: BSH@arlingtonhistoricalsociety.org
- Write a historical article for the annual Arlington Historical Magazine. To learn more: email the editor at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Administrative Help: Occasional help is needed with envelope stuffing, newsletter mailings, or magazine mailings. We work in small groups as needed at the Arlington Historical Museum on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon.
- Outreach: Help staff the Arlington Historical Society table at neighborhood events throughout the year and at the county fair in August. You’ll work with a fellow volunteer for a few hours handing out materials, selling books, and helping answer questions.
- Fundraising: AHS relies on the generosity of the public to maintain our buildings. We need help to raise funds, including event planning and applying for grants.
- Grant Writing: If you have experience applying for grants or want to learn with AHS, this is the volunteer opportunity for you. Help us tap into funding for AHS projects.
- Book Store Assistant Manager: Learn how to purchase books for the Arlington Historical Museum gift shop and help run it. Learn from the best and how to put it into action.
- Strategic Development: Want to help AHS think big? Help develop a strategic plan for an exciting future. Knowledge of historic architecture, strategic planning, or non-profit experience will help the Arlington Historical Society plan and implement a secure future.
If you have a skill, talent, or interest in helping AHS in other ways not yet listed here. Email the AHS Volunteer Coordinator at RobertWhite7@aol.com.