AHS is fueled by volunteer energy. We have opportunities for everyone who has an interest in history or who wants to become more involved in their community. These are just a few examples, to learn more, email AHS at email@example.com
- Docent at the Arlington Historical Museum: once a month on Saturday or Sunday afternoon. No experience necessary. We provide orientation, a docent handbook, and refreshers. We pair you with another docent. Help show Arlington’s history to the public.
- Docent at the Ball-Sellers House: One of the oldest buildings in the region: a farm house built in the 1750s and restored to what is would have looked like back then. Training is an apprenticeship with experienced docents where you gradually tell more of the story to visitors. Then give the tour to the museum director and you’re good to go. The museum is open on Saturdays from April through October from 1-4 pm. Ball-Sellers House docents generally sign up for 4-5 Saturdays during the season and when available, help docent at special events.
- Social Media: AHS has this robust website, three active Facebook pages, a Twitter hashtag #ArlHist and we are on Instagram @ArlingtonHistory. If you like to communicate via social media, we need you and we have lots of fascinating content. Do as much as you want and work with a team.
- Artifact Management: We recently moved our almost 6000 artifacts to free storage space provided by J.B.G. Smith in nearby Crystal City. We are working on documentation of some artifacts and re-housing others. We are fortunate to have experience museum volunteers guiding us in this and you can learn from the best.
- Research: Arlington has a rich history and our exhibits and the artifacts in our collection can tell a more meaningful story if we can share more information about what visitors are looking at. We have everything from A to Z from Native Americans to yesterday. We also are building a capability to help home owners learn about the history of their home and researchers are needed for that as well.
- Write a historical article for the quarterly AHS Newsletter or the annual Arlington Historical Magazine. To learn more email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Outreach: Help staff the Arlington Historical Society table at neighborhood events throughout the year and at the county fair in August. You’ll work with a fellow volunteer for a few hours handing out information, selling books, and helping answer questions.
- Fundraising : AHS relies on the generosity of the public to maintain our buildings. We need help to raise funds, including event planning and finding grants to apply for.
- Grant Writing: If you have experience writing and applying for grants or want to learn with AHS, this is the volunteer opportunity for you. Help us tap into funding for AHS projects.
- Book Store Manager: Learn how to purchase books for the Arlington Historical Museum gift shop and help run it. Learn from the best and how to put it into action.
- Video Editor: We record our monthly free lectures and need help editing them to post them on our website.
- Event Help: AHS hosts special events throughout the year to highlight Arlington history. It’s like a big history party each time so we need help providing food, hosting, and representing AHS to the public at these fun events.
If you have a skill, talent, or interest in helping AHS in other ways not listed here. Email the AHS Volunteer Coordinator at email@example.com