Lori Marsengill was kind enough to share with AHS her grandfather, William H. “Brick” Wood’s collection of photos and articles pertaining to his long career at Washington Golf & Country Club in Arlington. Brick’s tenure at Washington Golf began in 1916 when he just a boy caddying for the likes of Presidents Woodrow Wilson and Warren Harding, as well as Rear Admiral Cary Grayson, and the stories are priceless.
According to a newspaper article, Brick was given more responsibilities, including becoming caddy master at age 17 and later an assistant golf pro. He became known to golfers throughout the Washington area and was deeply admired by the club members. As an entrepreneur, he opened the Brick Wood Driving Range, located where Woodlake Towers now sits on Arlington Boulevard, and sold some of the land he owned in Cherrydale to the county so they could build the library there.
Unfortunately, Brick’s life was too short; he died at the age of 53 in 1959. Following in his footsteps as the Director of Play at WGCC was Brick’s son Gene, who could be found on the first tee for the next 30 years or so, and son Bill operated then sold the driving range in 1969.
Thank you to Lori and her cousins Cindy and Lisa for helping make this collection appear on our site.