Seagmuller, a native of Germany, came to America at 23 and achieved success as an inventor and manufacturer of scientific instruments. He lived here at Reserve Hill, the home of his parents-in-law, the Vandenbergs, and contributed in many ways to the development of this part of the county. He advanced funds in 1890 for a much-needed school which was named in his honor and which was replaced in 1937 by James Madison School. He was chairman of the County Board of Supervisors and was influential in locating the County Court House at its present site in 1898. He completed construction of this mansion in 1903. Its stone water tower is a replica of a tower in the walls of Nuremberg.